The traditional campfire deal with is elevated to a phenomenal dessert with this straightforward s’mores brownie pie. Layers of crispy graham cracker crust, 1-bowl fudgy brownie filling, and gooey toasted marshmallow provide up a superior s’mores expertise: all the flavour and texture, minus the hearth and sticky fingers!
There’s simply one thing about s’mores that’s so nostalgic of summertime. Likelihood is you’ve loved this candy, gooey deal with round a campfire in some unspecified time in the future. But when hunkering down within the air-conditioning is extra your summer time vibe than sweating subsequent to a blazing fireplace, this s’mores brownie pie is for you.
Reader Becky says: “This s’mores pie is scrumptious. I’ll by no means purchase store-bought graham cracker crusts once more. The brownie batter is oh so good and I’m going to should strive them solo. The marshmallows browned superbly. My household beloved it. Thanks for an additional keeper.”
I initially shared this recipe in 2013 and it’s been a summer time favourite since. I not pre-bake the crust and swapped 2 Tablespoons of butter within the filling for oil, which retains the brownie delicate and moist. The filling is definitely the identical as this common brownie pie.
Inform Me About This S’mores Brownie Pie
- Taste: Take pleasure in a buttery graham cracker crust, a wealthy double-chocolate brownie, and puffy candy marshmallows—with that particular taste they get from toasting over a fireplace. (However on this case, we’re simply utilizing the oven!)
- Texture: The feel of s’mores is so distinctive: layers of crispy graham cracker, delicate melty chocolate, and gooey toasted marshmallow. This pie replicates the identical mixture of textures in each crispy-fudgy-gooey chunk.
- Ease: You don’t even want a mixer to make this pie! You’re making a 3-ingredient graham cracker crust (no must pre-bake it), whisking collectively the brownie filling in 1 bowl, after which topping with marshmallows on the finish.
Begin With These Elements
- Graham Cracker Crust: In case you can’t discover graham crackers the place you reside, see recipe Notes for some options.
- Butter & Oil: Melted butter is the bottom of the filling. I at all times love how vegetable oil retains chocolate cake delicate and moist, so I add some right here. You may additionally use melted coconut oil.
- Granulated Sugar
- Eggs: Eggs are the primary performer on this recipe by including construction and texture. You want 3 eggs whole: 2 entire eggs + 1 egg yolk.
- Pure Vanilla Extract: Have you ever tried do-it-yourself vanilla extract? I like to make use of it in my baking recipes, however consider it takes weeks to succeed in its finest taste. Retailer-bought is nice and I often use McCormick or Nielsen-Massey. (Not sponsored, actually a fan!)
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder: Since there’s no leavening taking place, you should use pure or dutch-process cocoa powder. You usually should be cautious about which you employ if a recipe consists of baking soda, comparable to this chocolate peanut butter cake.
- All-Function Flour
- Semi-Candy Chocolate Chips: We’re doubling down on the chocolate taste within the brownie filling, however the chocolate chips additionally add a beautiful texture.
- Marshmallows: I often use massive, however you possibly can use mini marshmallows, and even make the marshmallow topping from these s’mores brownie cupcakes as a substitute (see recipe Notes).
You want slightly further butter and sugar, plus graham crackers to make the crust. This brings the full quantity of substances to 11.
The total printable recipe is under, however let me present you the way it comes collectively so you recognize what to anticipate.
An Further-Crispy Graham Cracker Crust
The recipe begins with my graham cracker crust. In case you’ve had bother with graham cracker crust previously, use my The right way to Make Graham Cracker Crust submit for steerage. Be sure you don’t pack the crust too tight into the pie dish. As a result of we bake this pie for about 32–35 minutes whole, the graham cracker crust seems crispier than a no-bake-filling pie like this strawberry cream cheese pie. In that recipe, the crust bakes for simply quarter-hour.
This further oven time offers this s’mores brownie pie much more texture, with a mix of toasted marshmallow, delicate chocolate, and crispy crunchy graham cracker in each chunk.
Can I Use Common Pie Crust?
I don’t advocate utilizing a conventional pie crust as a result of the bake time would change, and broiling the pie on the finish may lead to an overdone crust. If you wish to use common pie crust, nevertheless, comply with the par-baking directions within the common brownie pie and high with the meringue topping as detailed within the word under. Or you might love this brookie pie, which makes use of chocolate chip cookie dough because the “crust.”
Bake the pie on the middle rack for less than about half-hour, then take away it from the oven and prepare marshmallows on high. I often use 24–25 massive marshmallows for this. Place the pie again inside for a couple of minutes to toast the marshmallows. In the event that they aren’t toasting, flip in your broiler for a minute. Don’t stroll away from the oven! Relying in your oven, toasting or broiling might be very fast.
Success Tip: Chopping Into S’mores Brownie Pie
Cool the pie for at the least 45 minutes earlier than slicing. For finest outcomes—and so the crust doesn’t fully crumble—await the pie to chill for about 2 hours. The primary slice is at all times the messiest!
This pie can actually be messy due to the extra-sticky marshmallows, however dipping your sharp knife in HOT water and wiping dry between every slice helps. Don’t anticipate perfection: this pie is fudgy, gooey, sticky, and crumbly multi functional!
Can I Use a Marshmallow Creme Topping?
Sure, however do-it-yourself is finest. I’ve a recipe for do-it-yourself marshmallow creme, which is de facto an egg white-based do-it-yourself meringue frosting that tastes like marshmallows. I exploit a reduced-down model to high these s’mores brownie cupcakes and this bourbon candy potato pie, too. You’ll be able to simply use it for this s’mores brownie pie, too. See particular directions within the Notes under.
- Can I Use Retailer-Purchased Marshmallow Creme? You may if wanted, but it surely’s a lot runnier and can make a VERY messy pie. I like to recommend sticking to common marshmallows in case you don’t need to make a do-it-yourself marshmallow creme topping.
In contrast to the marshmallow model the place you employ your oven’s broiler setting, use a kitchen torch to toast the do-it-yourself topping. (It is advisable to apply the meringue to a cooled brownie pie, not heat, as a result of a heat filling will soften the meringue topping and broiling can even initially soften the topping.)
Let my group and me know in case you do that recipe. You can too comply with alongside on Fb or subscribe by way of e mail to obtain my finest baking recipes. One thing candy in your inbox!
You don’t even want a mixer to make this s’mores brownie pie! Make a 3-ingredient graham cracker crust (no must pre-bake it), whisk collectively the brownie filling in 1 bowl, after which high with marshmallows in the direction of the tip. See recipe Notes if you wish to use do-it-yourself marshmallow creme because the topping as a substitute. For finest outcomes, I don’t advocate store-bought marshmallow creme.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Make the crust: Combine the graham cracker crumbs and granulated sugar collectively in a medium bowl, after which stir within the melted butter. The combination shall be thick, coarse, and sandy. Pour the combination into an ungreased 9-inch pie dish. With medium stress utilizing your hand, pat the crumbs down into the underside and up the perimeters to make a compact crust. Don’t pack down with heavy power as a result of that results in a tough crust. Merely pat down till the combination is not crumby/crumbly.
- Make the brownie batter instantly earlier than spreading into crust: Slice the butter into Tablespoon-size items and soften within the microwave in a big heatproof bowl or in a small saucepan on the range. (Switch melted butter to a big bowl if utilizing the range.) Whisk the oil and granulated sugar into the melted butter. Let it sit for 3–5 minutes to barely cool. Whisk in 2 entire eggs, 1 egg yolk, and vanilla extract till mixed. Add the cocoa powder, flour, and salt and whisk till mixed. Batter shall be thick. Fold within the chocolate chips. Batter will proceed to thicken the longer it sits, so instantly spoon and unfold evenly into crust.
- Bake for half-hour. Take away from the oven and prepare marshmallows on high, urgent every very calmly down into the filling to assist them stick. Return pie to the oven and proceed to bake for an extra 3 minutes to toast the marshmallows. If the marshmallows aren’t toasted to your liking after this time, activate the broiler for 30–60 seconds and take away the pie as quickly because the marshmallows look toasted. Don’t stroll away from the oven as a result of toasting can occur quick and the marshmallows and crust can shortly burn.
- Take away pie from the oven and funky for at the least 45 minutes on a wire rack. For finest presentation and neatest slices, permit to chill for nearer to 2 hours or cool fully. For further neat slices, run a really sharp knife beneath sizzling water and wipe dry between slices.
- Cowl and retailer leftover pie at room temperature for as much as 3 days or within the fridge for as much as 1 week. You’ll be able to reheat slices for a couple of seconds within the microwave if desired.
- Can I Use Brownie Combine? Sure. For ease, you should use a ready boxed brownie combine to fill the unbaked graham cracker crust. Identical precise baking and topping directions.
- Marshmallow Meringue Topping As a substitute of Marshmallows: In case you favor, you may high this pie with do-it-yourself marshmallow meringue as a substitute of marshmallows. Change the bake time from half-hour to 32–35 minutes (err on the facet of underbaked as a result of the brownie will proceed to set because it cools). Let the pie cool fully set on a wire rack. Make the marshmallow meringue topping as instructed on this s’mores brownie cupcakes recipe. Use a spatula or massive spoon to unfold the topping on the cooled pie and, if desired, fastidiously use a kitchen torch to toast it. (Don’t place beneath oven broiler.) Chopping into this pie is much less messy than the marshmallow-topped pie, however making the meringue provides extra steps.
- Graham Cracker Crust Alternate options: In case you stay exterior the U.S. and graham crackers aren’t available, listed below are another choices for the pie crust. (1) Make an Oreo crust as a substitute. You’ll be able to comply with the directions from this cookies & cream pie. No must prebake, simply put together the crust combination, press into pan and proceed with s’mores brownie pie filling/directions above. (2) You’ll be able to substitute speculoos cookie crumbs (like Biscoff) and scale back sugar down to three Tablespoons (38g). (3) Or you might love this brookie pie, which makes use of chocolate chip cookie dough because the crust.
- Recipe tailored from The S’mores Cookbook.
Key phrases: s’mores brownie pie, s’mores pie
Baking Made Simple
Are you new to this web site? This e mail collection is a superb place to begin. I’ll stroll you thru a couple of of my hottest recipes and present you precisely why they work.